Generation 64 - How the Commodore 64 inspired a generation of Swedish gamersBUY NOW - TRACKED GLOBAL SHIPPING
The Commodore 64 proved to be a milestone release in the world of computing. Launched in 1982 it immediately captured the imagination of an entire generation of gamers, artists, musicians, crackers and programmers who would push its meagre hardware to create a range of amazing games, demos, art packages, CAD programs and music synthesisers.
Young people the world over learned their craft on the C64, but in Sweden the machine’s legacy is unparalleled: it sired a raft of incredible talent who have since gone on to create amazing products and services that have, without exaggeration, changed the world.
Generation 64 by Jimmy Wilhelmsson chronicles this talented group and traces their path from backroom coders to giants of the connected world. Karl Hornell was a games developer who created POwerRoom.com in 1999, and which was sold to Ongame for £450 million. Frederik Liljegren started a demo group and later became the founder of highly respected developer DICE, which is currently working on Star Wars: Battlefront. Kim Nordstrom started life as a graphic designer, helped developer the PlayStation 4 and is now Head of Studio at King, which enjoyed some success with a little game called candy Crush Saga. Former coder Oskar Stål is now Chief Technical Officer of the music streaming service, Spotify. And on it goes…
Bitmap Books is proud to present the English language version of Generation 64, which features in-depth interviews with dozens of Swedish entrepreneurs. Edited by legendary C64 games journalist Julian Rignall, this 184-page hardback book features over 50,000 words, complemented by a wealth of Commodore 64 imagery, some of which has never been seen before. With a foreword by the founder of DICE, Frederik Liljegren, and an introduction by the designer of the 6502 CPU, Chuck Peddle, Generation 64 is an unmissable account in the history of the C64 and the part it played in the creation of the modern world.
184 pages, 250mm x 215mm, lithographic print, hardback, thread sewn binding, protective dust jacket, 3mm board slipcase.
A selection of the contributors
- Karl Hörnell – games developer at Interceptor who cofounded PokerRoom.com, which was later sold for 450 million pounds.
- Fredrik “Watcher” Liljegren – cofounder of the demo group, The Silents, and later games developer, DICE, creators of “Pinball Dreams”, the “Battlefield” series, and coming “Star Wars: Battlefront”.
- Kim “Creeper” Nordström – graphic maker in Censor Design, part of the Sony team that built the PlayStation 4 – and now head of studio at King, creators of “Candy Crush Saga”.
- Oskar “Flamingo” Stål – former coder in Light and now Chief Technical Officer of the music streaming service, Spotify.
- Martin Walfisz – founder of games developer Massive Entertainment, creators of “Ground Control” and coming “Tom Clancy’s: The Division”.
- Tomas Danko – Sweden’s most famous C64 musician – and nowadays, a very experienced lead sound engineer with titles like “Mirror’s Edge”, the “Battlefield” series, and “Killzone: Shadow Fall” on his résumé.
- Lars Hård – cofounder of Greve Graphics, Sweden’s very first games studio – with titles like “Blood and Guts” and “Soldier One”. Today, successful entrepreneur in Silicon Valley.
- Founders and prominent members of Swedish legendary demo and cracker groups, Fairlight and Triad.
- The stories of notorious C64 sceners from Sweden; like Mr.Z, Strider, Ixion, Xerox, King Fisher, Mahoney, Bacchus, The Sarge, Gollum, and many more.
- Commodore 64
Another great book from bitmap books. Curiosities and stories about the Swedish scene of commodore64. A recommended book for commodore lovers
I have now bought 5 books from this company, I wouldn’t go anywhere else, these books are stunning, from the beautiful front cover to the last page!. Such an overload of nostalgia. Being an avid gamer, and collector of consoles I absolutely love this company and their books. There packaging is stunning too, packaged beautifully and very fast delivery. I cannot recommend them enough! 5 stars 10 stars!!. Nigex3
Best source of classic gaming books anywhere, bar none. My books arrived ~ 4 days after ordering, from the UK, to the US, during a pandemic! And they arrived in PERFECT condition!!! Amazon could learn a lot here. Don't hesitate buying from Bitmap! I will buy more from them.
A fascinating look into the the Swedish Commodore 64 scene, that provides a unique perspective from a passionate community that fully embraced the 64. There are a few odd sentences choices, but generally the text is well translated [images remain in their native Swedish]. The actual page layouts are great as ever.